This session* will usually run from 10am to 4pm.
During the morning participants will have an opportunity to:
- review the range of English skills that underpin their vocational area and which can be developed through embedded support;
- identify some of the barriers that learners may face in reading vocational texts;
- explore a range of teaching strategies to develop reading skills on vocational programmes e.g. activating prior knowledge, modelling reading strategies, vocabulary development, DARTS activities, graphic organisers and the use of digital technology; and
- identify opportunities and strategies to develop speaking and listening skills within their vocational contexts.
During the afternoon participants will have an opportunity to:
- review the barriers that learners face when tackling writing tasks on vocational programmes;
- explore the use of graphic organisers in writing support;
- evaluate different marking and teaching strategies to develop skills in spelling, punctuation and grammar; and
- identify some useful e learning tools and websites for use in embedded support with writing.
*Please note this session is adapted if your select an English vocational revitaliser for teachers working with learners at predominantly entry level.