During this session, you will:
- Get to know other participants, sharing expectations, issues and concerns
- Explore the course structure
- Consider the learner journey in relation to Functional English
- Discuss different approaches to initial & diagnostic assessment
- Reflect on your own personal English language history
- Consider barriers to engagement with English
- Explore how learners’ self-belief & growth mindsets can be developed
Session 1 PowerPoint slides
Pre-session 2 Tasks
- Click on the following link to visit the ETF’s Foundation Online Learning site. Explore the site and look at some of the support that is available to you. Bookmark anything you think is particularly relevant to you.Improving the teaching of maths & English
(The site has online materials to support non-specialist teachers to develop their personal maths & English skills at level 2 (with some extension activities to level 3). It also provides ideas about how to approach teaching each topic and reinforces effective practice.
- Click on this link to do a self-assessment of your skills in English (you can do maths too if you wish!). This page has some self- evaluation practice for teachers of English. There are also units here that you can study to help fill in any gaps you have that need brushing up on. For now do the assessment and save/print out your results.
- Complete your Professional Standards scoring and reflections on session 1 in your Reflective diary.