During this session, you will:
- understand the way Functional Skills has changed
- analyse the new 2018 Functional English Subject Content & its implications
- identify links between English & vocational/everyday tasks
- identify any areas for development in own English skills
Session 2 PowerPoint slides
Pre-session 3 Tasks
Before session 3 we would like you to do the following tasks:
- Watch the Literacies for Learning video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyjlqggwuGY)
- (If you didn’t do this last time, click on this link to do a self-assessment of your skills in English (you can do maths too if you wish!). This page has some self- evaluation practice for teachers of English. There are also units here that you can study to help fill in any gaps you have that need brushing up on. For now do the assessment and save/print out your results. https://www.foundationonline.org.uk/course/view.php?id=84
- Read HO3.2a ‘Banning Slang’. Annotate for key ideas.
- Read HO3.2b ‘Not the only way to speak English’. Annotate for key ideas.
- Watch the David Crystal file (5 minutes) and note down the key ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGg-2MQVReQ
- Complete your reflections on session 2 in your Reflective diary.