This session will introduce you to the course structure and content. It also sets the scene for the rest of the course by exploring what it means for practitioners to work with learners (16-18s, adults) who have not studied mathematics for some time and/or have other barriers to learning mathematics.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand the contents and structure of the course you teach
- Self-evaluate your Functional Skills mathematical knowledge and pedagogical understanding.
- Understand some of the issues raised by learners studying Functional Skills Mathematics
- Analyse factors that might have disengaged learners from mathematics previously
- Get to know your trainer and peers on this course.