Course learning outcomes
This course aims to support trainees in developing the subject knowledge and subject-specific pedagogy required to support learners who have not achieved a good pass in GCSE English (Language) at school. Participants will:
- analyse factors that might disengage GCSE learners and explore strategies for motivating and inspiring them;
- evaluate and use approaches to initial and diagnostic assessment which actively involve learners in the process of assessment and target setting;
- plan effective learning programmes for GCSE English Language courses;
- develop their knowledge and abilities to carry out effective GCSE English Language teaching;
- use a range of assessment for learning strategies and adapt teaching to meet the needs of individual learners; and
- reflect on their practice and identify ways (including the use of research) to improve it.
- Existing teachers who currently teach GCSE maths or English, and would benefit from training and development.
- New GCSE teachers such as Functional Skills teachers/ vocational teachers who are teaching/ have taught maths/English at level 2 and meet the entry requirements
- Vocational teachers who have been supporting English and maths developments, and are preparing to teach GCSE maths/English, and meet the entry requirements.
- Teachers who have undertaken the Maths Enhancement Programme and English Enhancement Programme, and meet entry requirements.
Suggested entry requirements
- Candidates must be qualified to level 3, or be able to demonstrate level 3 personal skills in English (literacy/ language)
- A generic teaching qualification e.g. DET, DTLLS, Cert Ed, PGCE, etc.
If participants don’t have a level 3 English qualification, there is an initial assessment to help them/ us decide of this is the right course. If participants need to do some personal literacy/ language development, we will signpost to new on-line learning modules and/or a Level 3 ‘Award in Literacy/ Language for English Teachers’. Contact us to find out more.